Connor’s Circle honors philanthropic individuals who have named HomeSafe in their long-term financial or estate plans. The society was named for Connor Cray, the nephew of one of HomeSafe’s (formerly, The Children’s Place) founding board members, who passed away from AIDS in 1988. Until 2005, HomeSafe operated Connor’s Nursery, the first shelter in Florida for babies and children who had AIDS or were HIV positive. While Connor’s Nursery no longer exists, it remains an important part of HomeSafe’s legacy of providing care and support for vulnerable and deserving children. Connor’s Circle exemplifies the spirit of philanthropy that, like Connor, lives on – forever.
Legacy giving, also referred to as planned giving, is the charitable expression of your deepest values. It enables philanthropic individuals to make larger gifts to an organization than they could from ordinary income.
As a member of Connor’s Circle, you are joining other forward-minded philanthropists in defining your own legacy. You are investing in the promise of future generations of deserving HomeSafe children and families. Your commitment today is recognized and celebrated during your lifetime and beyond.
How will you define your legacy?
How to Leave a Legacy Gift
Leaving a legacy gift is simple and, in most cases, does not impact your current financial situation. There are number of creative vehicles are available for philanthropists who wish to extend their commitments to HomeSafe beyond their lifetime while taking advantage of significant tax benefits today. We will work with you (and your legal and financial advisors, when appropriate) to create a philanthropic plan customized for you.
Bequests in Will / Trust
- Name HomeSafe in your will or living trust (designate a specific amount, percentage or share of the estate).
- Does not comprise your current income stream.
- Donation is exempt from federal estate tax.
- You maintain control of your assets during your lifetime.
Gift of Retirement Assets
- Name HomeSafe as the beneficiary of your IRA (or other employee benefit plans).
- Does not compromise your current income stream.
- Avoid the double taxation of IRAs (or other employee benefit plans) as nonprofits are exempt from taxation.
- Allows you to make a gift from you most highly taxed assets, leaving better and more tax advantageous assets to your family.
Gift of Life Insurance
- Name HomeSafe as a beneficiary on a life insurance policy and/or change ownership on a life insurance policy you no longer need.
- Make a large gift with little or no cost up front.
- May qualify for a current income tax deduction.
- Possible future deduction to pay policy premiums, if required.
Charitable Gift Annuity (CGA)
- Provides fixed and often increased, tax-free income for you and another person for life, based on your age.
- The principal is retained for HomeSafe.
- Create an immediate income tax charitable deduction.
- Cash or appreciated securities can be used for gift.
- Excellent option for benefactors over age 70.
Become a Founding Member of Connor’s Circle
Connor’s Circle was launched in 2020 to ensure the long-term financial vitality of HomeSafe. Benefactors who secure a legacy gift to HomeSafe prior to June 30, 2021 will be recognized as Founding Members of Connor’s Circle.
As a Founding Member of Connor’s Circle, you will be afforded the following membership benefits:
- Invitation to annual Connor’s Circle luncheon and induction ceremony
- Engraved recognition on the Connor’s Circle Founding Members commemorative wall Subscription and name recognition in the Connor’s Society annual journal
- Benefactor profile and photo in an upcoming HomeSafe biannual newsletter
- Connor’s Circle Founding Member commemorative lapel pin
- Invitations to HomeSafe special events and benefactor receptions
For more information legacy giving to HomeSafe and Connor’s Circle membership, please contact HomeSafe Chief Advancement Officer Shannon Wayte, CFRE at 954-529-6776 or ShannonWayte@HelpHomeSafe.org